Our second morning in Beijing we got picked up for an overnight tour to the Great Wall. I quickly realized our tour guide, Robert, was not like any tour guide I had ever had before. He was very strange, and a tad flamboyant. He also was completely shaven except for a mold on the side of his face, out of which grew five 3-inch, curling hairs. It was disgusting. He also wore a baseball cap the entire time we were with him, and the strap on the back of the hat (that’s normally used for adjusting the size) was wrapped in human hair. I asked him about it, and he got all shy and mumbled something about it being his own hair and that it was for his body’s feng shui. I didn’t press him for more information. Another funny thing about Robert was that he gave us warnings before we arrived in each destination. There was the 10 minute warning to “arrange our belongings” and then as we got closer he would tell us the time in seconds at which we were going to arrive. On our night walk up to the Great Wall, he stopped and shouted and we asked him why he was shouting and he told us it was just because he was so happy to be there.
Picture: Robert and I at sunset on the Great Wall.
No comments:
Post a Comment