Halloween in London was my first in many years that I have not had the resources to make myself a good costume. I hate buying costumes, as I think they’re overpriced and not creative at all. This year I decided I would be a domino—all I had to do was buy a black shirt and pin some white dots to it. It was cheap and easy and considering not many people in London celebrate the holiday I decided it would suffice. My friend Molly has an American friend who is working here, so we went to her flat for a Halloween party. I walked into the kitchen of the flat and much to my surprise was a group of guys dressed as dominos! What’s even stranger was that I chose to be number five (I figured it was enough numbers for people to understand what I was…..) and the boys were numbers one through four. Bizarre.
On Thanksgiving I was thankful for…..Whole Foods. They have a few stores here and had a Thanksgiving special where you would buy all the staples of an American Thanksgiving pre-made and all you had to do was heat them and eat them! This sounds simple enough, but I have a pretend kitchen. The microwave barely fits a bowl, and the electric stove is my new arch nemesis. To turn it on, it takes about five steps and it over-heats so often that you have to restart it at least three times when cooking anything. After spending a good half hour heating everything up (I made sure to do the mashed potatoes and gravy last because that’s all that really matters on Thanksgiving anyway),t he food turned out to be great and all 15 of us Globals ate together. There was a mish mash of food, ranging from those of us who ordered from Whole Foods to those of us who ordered pizza from Domino’s. Not quite mom’s home cooking but it worked for a group of college kids abroad.
No comments:
Post a Comment