After a quick dinner at good old McDonald’s (we were all sick of Egyptian food by this point) we headed to the train station to wait for our overnight train to Luxor. I was pretty apprehensive about the train, because I’ve heard overnight trains aren’t the safest things in the world. When I told my mom not to worry, that I would keep all my valuables tucked into my shirt or something, she said, “Perfect, so the robbers can slit your throat to get your money!” Thanks for the reassurance, mom. I tried to lay low at the station so all the creepy men wouldn’t realize I was getting on the train, but three young, American girls definitely stick out like sore thumbs at the shady Giza train station. The train finally pulled up and we boarded and I was extremely surprised! The train was relatively clean, our $60 round trip tickets happened to be in the first-class car, and mine and Megan’s room connected to Molly and Kyle’s so we felt a little bit safer. Each little room had two seats (that folded into one bed) and another bed folded down from the top of the wall. There was a sink and mirror, and they even gave us two towels. We were provided with a decent dinner and breakfast, and right after dinner a man came and turned down our room. The only reason I didn’t sleep well was because I had something rattling by my ear all night, but on the trip back from Luxor to Cairo the following night I slept like a baby. I would actually prefer sleeping on the train to the 3-star hotel we stayed in in Cairo. The experience was actually one of the most fun things about our trip!
Monday, July 5, 2010
The Overnight Train
After a quick dinner at good old McDonald’s (we were all sick of Egyptian food by this point) we headed to the train station to wait for our overnight train to Luxor. I was pretty apprehensive about the train, because I’ve heard overnight trains aren’t the safest things in the world. When I told my mom not to worry, that I would keep all my valuables tucked into my shirt or something, she said, “Perfect, so the robbers can slit your throat to get your money!” Thanks for the reassurance, mom. I tried to lay low at the station so all the creepy men wouldn’t realize I was getting on the train, but three young, American girls definitely stick out like sore thumbs at the shady Giza train station. The train finally pulled up and we boarded and I was extremely surprised! The train was relatively clean, our $60 round trip tickets happened to be in the first-class car, and mine and Megan’s room connected to Molly and Kyle’s so we felt a little bit safer. Each little room had two seats (that folded into one bed) and another bed folded down from the top of the wall. There was a sink and mirror, and they even gave us two towels. We were provided with a decent dinner and breakfast, and right after dinner a man came and turned down our room. The only reason I didn’t sleep well was because I had something rattling by my ear all night, but on the trip back from Luxor to Cairo the following night I slept like a baby. I would actually prefer sleeping on the train to the 3-star hotel we stayed in in Cairo. The experience was actually one of the most fun things about our trip!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment