I wanted to go to the Austrian Alps before I left Europe, so I googled the best place to go and came across a little town called Hallstatt which sits on See Hallstatt (see = lake) about four hours from Vienna. I was able to find a direct ticket to Hallstatt from Vienna (meaning I wouldn’t have to change trains) and a ticket with only one stop on the way back. This would be the first time I was to travel via train in Austria, so I was a little nervous as sometimes train signs are confusing because there are so many stops. It’s not like when you travel by plane and everyone gets on and off on the same time…..there are many little stops and you have to be aware of when you are supposed to get off. I found someone that spoke English, made sure I was getting on the right train, and headed off to Hallstatt.
After about an hour, a man came through to check our tickets and told me in broken English that the tracks were closed and that I would have to get off the train, take a bus, then get back on the train. He told me this would be clear when I got to the station but I wasn’t so sure….We pulled up to a station and lots of people got off so I decided this was where I was supposed to get off too. Once off, there were about five different bus choices! I had no idea where to go so I hopped on one with some people I recognized from the train and hoped that I was on the right one. We drove for about 30 minutes, during which I got to see a bunch of cute little Austrian mountain towns, and finally we pulled up to another station. Everyone got back on the train and the conductor, who luckily spoke very good English, told me I was in the right place. One stop later I was in Hallstatt. This definitely was not the non-stop ease I had hoped for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment