Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Grad school is getting to me.

I am in two classes here in Geneva—stats and marketing. The workload has been a lot more than I expected, and I find myself constantly relating things around me to what I am learning in class. I guess this is a good thing, but I feel like a big loser. Here’s some examples:

We have been discussing sales margins in my marketing class. The other day we were walking home from school, and we went to look at the menu of a restaurant near our dorms, and it had pizza on the menu. I made a comment wondering why all the restaurants in Geneva serve pizza, and instead of saying,” Probably because pizza is cheap to make and they can make a lot of money on it because nothing for dinner here is less than 25CHF,” like a normal person, I said [insert nerd voice here], “It must be because the restaurants have a high margin on pizza sales.”

After our stats mid-term last week, all of us went out for drinks. We went to a bar that serves beer towers (these are five-foot tall columns of beer that each have their own tap at the bottom), and we ordered three beer towers for the group. I left and went to the bathroom, and coming back to the table I noticed that the levels of beer in the three different towers produced the shape of a bell-shaped distribution.

You think future employers would be impressed?
Picture: The bell shaped distribution of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment