One of the great things about being abroad it celebrating other countries’ holidays, and this past January 26 I partook in Australia Day. The day is sort of the country’s July 4th, because I was told it celebrates the day James Cook discovered the island (not sure if this is true or not). On this day a radio station in Australia plays the “Hot 100”—the most popular songs from the past year, voted on by the listeners of the station. My friend Molly knew about this day from an Australian she became friends with in London, and she found a bar in Amsterdam that was playing the radio station and having a celebration. We went to the bar, and it turned out to be a hostel. There we found a group of Australian backpackers who were celebrating as well, and I ended up having one of the best nights of my entire time abroad. They knew of an Australian bar in Amsterdam that was having a huge celebration, and we went to that bar where I met people from all over the world. The bar was packed wall to wall (on a Tuesday night!) and we had a great time just soaking up someone else’s holiday. I hope to find an Australian bar in St. Louis to celebrate next year….or maybe I’ll just jet over to Adelaide to celebrate with my new friends.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Aussie Day
One of the great things about being abroad it celebrating other countries’ holidays, and this past January 26 I partook in Australia Day. The day is sort of the country’s July 4th, because I was told it celebrates the day James Cook discovered the island (not sure if this is true or not). On this day a radio station in Australia plays the “Hot 100”—the most popular songs from the past year, voted on by the listeners of the station. My friend Molly knew about this day from an Australian she became friends with in London, and she found a bar in Amsterdam that was playing the radio station and having a celebration. We went to the bar, and it turned out to be a hostel. There we found a group of Australian backpackers who were celebrating as well, and I ended up having one of the best nights of my entire time abroad. They knew of an Australian bar in Amsterdam that was having a huge celebration, and we went to that bar where I met people from all over the world. The bar was packed wall to wall (on a Tuesday night!) and we had a great time just soaking up someone else’s holiday. I hope to find an Australian bar in St. Louis to celebrate next year….or maybe I’ll just jet over to Adelaide to celebrate with my new friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment