Sunday, February 28, 2010

Road Trip (The Car Situation)


The only overnight side trip I made this term was a weekend road trip to Brussels, Luxembourg and Germany. 6 of us rented a car and planned to go to Brussels and Bruges in Belgium, Luxembourg City in Luxembourg and the Moselle Valley in Germany. The trip didn’t go quite as well as planned, but we still had a good time.

It all started with the car rental. I had spoken with the representative from Hertz who assured me that we could have a seven passenger minivan for Friday-Sunday for about 180 euros (a great rate!) On Friday morning, Molly and I walked for about forty-five minutes in the rain trying to find the car rental place. When we arrived, we checked in and the rental man took us to our car…..a five-person compact. I had a feeling that this was going to happen and so I had written down the name of the person I spoke with originally, so they honored our price and gave us two five-person compacts. Luckily we had two people who knew how to drive a stick-shift car (automatic cars are rare in Europe) or I don’t know what we would have done. One of the cars was a tiny, bright purple car that was literally named “Panda”, so it earned the nickname the Purple Panda (could you imagine people in the US buying a car that was called Panda?) After the fights were over about who had to ride in the Purple Panda, we headed on our way.

Picture: Molly, Kyle and the Purple Panda.

No comments:

Post a Comment