Sunday, February 28, 2010

Road Trip (Snow & Dinner in Wine Country)



As we headed south towards Luxembourg, the roadsides changed from dead winter foliage to dead winter foliage covered in snow. At some points, there was so much snow covering the trees that I felt like I was in Narnia. Molly M. was the driver of the car I was in, and she was extremely afraid of driving on the snowy roads (even though the roads were pretty much cleared….but it’s all mental I guess) so when we finally got to Luxembourg City we only spent about 2o minutes there because she wanted to get on the road so we could get to our final destination which was about 1.5 hours southeast of Luxembourg. We had started the day much later than I had anticipated (I’ve inherited my mom’s get-up-and-go-see-as-much-as-y0u-can mentality when on vacations, but the others in my group wanted to sleep until 10:30) so we didn’t even get to Luxembourg until the sun was setting. I was bummed that we had gotten there so late and that the weather was bad, but I took some pictures and we headed on our way.

The Moselle Valley lies along the Rhine River and is the wine region on that part of the world. We had planned to stay in a small German village called Enkirch and have a wine pairing with dinner at our hotel. Much to our bad luck, our only instance of getting truly lost was on the road trip was going from Luxembourg to Enkirch. We got so lost that we ended up having dinner at “Trucker’s Paradise”, a truck stop on the Luxembourg/Germany border. So our lovely dinner and wine pairing consisted of a main course of pepperoni pizza paired with Diet Coke. We finally arrived to Enkirch around 10:00pm and crashed in our quaint little hotel.

Sunday morning we woke up to a winter wonderland—it had snowed about two more feet during the night and the valley was covered in snow. The Purple Panda had some troubles getting out of the parking spot, but after a push or two she was freed. We followed the road along the river for about an hour then headed back towards the highway to make our way back to Leiden. The Valley was really pretty, with picturesque little towns lining the river and vineyards as far as the eye could see. I would like to go back someday in the summer.

Overall it was a fun weekend and it was nice to see Europe’s countryside covered in snow.

Pictures: Our first taste of the snow; The Moselle Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment