Thursday, August 27, 2009

This really is grad school.

Monday was our first day of classes. The Webster Geneva campus takes about an hour to get to, not due to distance, but due to the timing of the public transportation we have to take. To get to class by 6:30, we take the 5:33 bus to the train station, then hop on the 6:03 train. It only takes about 15 minutes to get to the train station via bus or walking, and the train ride to campus is only four stops. I bought my public transportatin pass on Tuesday. Per month, the rate is CHF 45 if you are under 25, and CHF 75 if you are over 25. Talk about just missing the cutoff!

Campus is located in a residential neighborhood just off the lake, and of the staff members told me that lakefront houses go for about 10 million francs! The campus is small and consists of four buildings situation on a sloping hill, some of which are connected by skywalks. There are two academic buildings, one dorm/student building, and an old house that has been converted into an administration building. There are woods surrounding the buildings on both sides.

Supposedly Webster Geneva has a reputation for being for "rich kids", and I would believe it! The parking lot is literally filled with Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes, and most of the girls carry designer bags (not Coach or Juicy designer, I mean real designer, like Gucci, Prada, etc.) The girls also get very dressed up for class. On the first day, I felt very under-dresses in my polo and jeans.

All 15 of us are in marketing together on Monday nights, then we are divided in half for statistics (half on Tuesday nights and half on Thursday nights.) Marketing went well. We may only have class two times per week, but I will be doing a lot of work outside of class. Just the amount of reading plus group cases we have to do for each class is overwhelming. I will definitely be laying out by the river and reading again today. Tonight I have stats....I'll let you know how it goes!

Picture: Reviewing marketing homework during down time on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment