Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Morocco (The Souks)



Souks are the traditional markets in Marrakesh. They are comprised of stalls that line the narrow alleyways of the old city, and they sell everything from shoes to Tupperware to herbs to keychains. They souks are a complete maze, and again change by the hour. They begin to open at about 9am, are in full swing by 2 o’clock, and close up at about 9pm. Each stall is jam-packed with inventory and most are can only fit about two people inside because they are so full of stuff. The alleyways are crowded with people (again, about 40% tourists and 60% locals), men pushing carts and a few people trying to navigate the crowds on their motorbikes. You never pay the price asked by the vendors, and can get better deals at night than in the mornings. I never felt unsafe in the souks during the day, but we were constantly yelled at and hassled, and after awhile it got annoying more than anything. (No I do not want a 0scarf. No I do not want a carved camel. Everyone has a special price. No I am not with Obama’s sister. Yes I am from the United States.) Overall, though, it was fun bargaining with the vendors and seeing how low I could get them to go on prices.

On a side-note, one thing I wanted to buy was a wooden toy snake for my nephew Ryan. They were all over the Souks and I was sure I could get one for pretty cheaply. I decided against it though, because I’m sure my hypochondriac sister Katie would not allow her child to play with something that was 1)From a dirty market in Africa and 2)Not certified as being lead-free. Sorry Ryan.
Pictures: The Souks on a quiet Sunday; animal/snake skins for sale

No comments:

Post a Comment