Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Blueberry Incident




While my parents were in Vienna we did some of the typical touristy stuff and a few things off the beaten path that I wanted to do, like visiting the Vienna Botanical Gardens. The gardens are part of one of the universities in Vienna, and are completely unimpressive compared to the Missouri Botanical Gardens but enjoyable all the same.

As we were strolling through the gardens, we noticed some people eating berries off one of the trees. They didn’t speak much English, and we didn’t speak much German, but we figured if they were doing it so could we. I don’t remember what the berries were, but they were ripe and delicious and juice exploded out of them as soon as they hit your mouth.

Directly across the path from the berry tree was a blueberry bush, so my mom grabbed a blueberry and popped it into her mouth. Immediately she spit it out and said, “Well THAT wasn’t a blueberry” and we all had a good laugh. Then I got to thinking about how if it wasn’t a blueberry, what kind of berry was it, and was it poisonous? Was my mother going to swell up and die because she tried to eat a fake blueberry? What was the 911 equivalent in Vienna? After a few minutes she still felt fine, so I settled with snapping a picture of the bush so I could show the doctors just in case we had to take her to the emergency room later that day. Thankfully, we never had to use the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment