The first night I was in Croatia I wandered down the hill to the Pile Gate – one of the main entrances into the Old Town of Dubrovnik. The pedestrian-only Old Town is the defined by the original walls surrounding the city, but really Dubronik has expanded outside its origins and now encompasses an area that goes both north and south up the coast and into the cliffs behind the Old Town. The further you get from the Old Town, the more modern the buildings. The Old Town sits right on the Aegean Sea, and at some parts the walls literally reach down and touch the water.
I had to walk down about 200 stairs to get to the Pile Gate, but there were lovely views of the town and the water and the islands off in the distance. The fact that it was 70 degrees and sunny didn’t hurt either. I wandered around the Old Town, which is completely made of white and grey stone, and tried to get my bearings. The Old Town isn’t very big, so it was easy to do so, and after about an hour of wandering through the narrow alleyways I headed in search of a restaurant that had be recommended to me. I had to ask for directions a few times, but I eventually found it outside the city walls, and I had a nice dinner in what seemed to be someone’s backyard (everything is so old it’s pretty much just built of top of each other) while I read a magazine I had found in the English section of a bookstore in the Vienna airport. After dinner, I headed back to the apartment and called it a night.
No comments:
Post a Comment