I woke up on Friday morning planning to have a relaxing morning before heading to the airport around noon. As soon as I checked my email though, my morning was turned upside down. Caitlin had a crazy string of flights to get from her home in Augusta, GA (she’s there working for Alberici on a job site doing construction management) to Dubrovnik, which included four layovers. Due to storm on the east coast, she was slated to arrive in Dublin an entire day later than expected. Annoying, but at least she would get there on Saturday afternoon and I would only have to spend on night in Dubrovnik by myself. It gets worse. She was flying Aer Lingus from Dublin to Dubrovnik, and they only have flights on that route every other day….meaning she wouldn’t get to Dubrovnik until SUNDAY NIGHT, a full two days later than expected (and remember, we were only going to be there four days!)
I was totally bummed, but headed to Dubrovnik anyway since I was going to try to make the best out of a bad situation. I was really worried about Caitlin, though, because this was her first time flying internationally and I didn’t want her to be scared in Dublin and just sit in her hotel room and mope the whole time. When I got to Dubrovnik, I got on Skype and called her to see how she was doing. She answered the phone in her distinct “I’ve had a few too many glasses of wine…”
voice (I’ve been friends with the girl for 10 years, I know that voice) and it turns out she was sitting in LaGuardia having dinner with a doctor who had paid for the meal and as he attempted to upgrade her to business class I knew she was going to be okay.
Side Note: Caitlin ended up having a great 1.5 days in Dublin….she toured the city and met some locals with whom she watched the World Cup game in a real Irish pub! We joke that she even got a stamp in her passport that I don’t have.
Side Side Note: Our other friend from high school, Keith, claims the "doctor" was probably really a salesman from New Jersey. He's probably right but I love the story anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment