The next day I woke up bright and early to another glorious day – 70 degrees and sunny. Caitlin and I had planned to go on a kayaking and biking tour, and although I was hesitant to go without her (I am neither a kayaker or a biker, but thought the tour would be fun to do together because we could both laugh when I got swept away by the sea and the cute guide would have to come rescue me….) I convinced myself to just go. I figured out the bus system and took the bus the 20 minutes to the new side of town and the New Port, where I was to meet the guide by the light next to the port underneath the blue “Tourism Center” awning. I arrived about 20 minutes early, but luckily I had brought a book for the beach portion of the day so I sat and read until it was time to meet.
Five minutes after our allotted meeting time, I thought it was unusual that I was there before the tour guide but figured he was one of those ski/rafting bums and didn’t think much else. Ten minutes after our meeting time, I wondered why I was the only one who looked like I was sitting there waiting for someone. Fifteen minutes after our meeting time, I freaked out and wondered if I had the wrong date or the wrong time. Twenty minutes after our meeting time, I walked around making sure I was under the only blue awning in the area. I was. Forty-five minutes after our meeting time and about 50 pages later in my book, I left, confused and annoyed.
I decided that because I was in the area, I would check out the local “gastronomical” fair that was going on in the New Port. I entered the large tent and saw about twenty 6’ tables set up in a long row. I quickly learned there are about three things that are native to the area – lavender, oil (I don’t remember what kind, probably olive oil), and lacy/doily looking linens. Not quite the “Taste of Croatia” I was looking for, but interesting nonetheless. I picked up a few things then got back on the bus to go back to Old Town.
Once in Old Town, I went in search of the address listed for the tour company to see what had happened. I wandered the stairs and alleyways outside the Old Town for awhile, but the directions I had were pretty good and after catching my breath from climbing 200 stairs I opened the door of the tour company to find myself in….another alley. This one had toys and clothes lines it in so I was confused as it looked more residential than commercial but I kept walking. Eventually I found the address, and walked up to the building, which was a little house much like the one I was staying in. The patio was littered with wetsuits, water shoes, and paddles so I figured I was in the right place. I knocked on a front door a few times but no one answered, so I opened the door and let myself in. The room was obviously being lived in and the “office” was just a desk in the corner…I think the guides lived there. I shouted hello a few times and no one answered, so I gave up and headed back to my apartment.
When I got back, I checked my email and it turns out that about ten minutes after I had left that morning I got an email from the tour company saying that because I was the only one signed up for the tour that day, it was cancelled. I guess the early bird doesn’t always catch the worm!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment