Sunday, April 18, 2010

China is Cheap

China is by far the cheapest country we’ve lived in. The exchange rate is 7 RMB for 1 USD. Following are the costs of some things:
• A 20-30 minute cab ride will run you about $2-$5 USD, and since I don’t go anywhere alone, that cost is usually split between 2-3 people.
• You can get a bowl of dumpling soup from a street restaurant for about $0.50. The bowl I got was so big that I ate it for two meals.
• A 1 liter bottle of Coke Zero (they don’t have Diet Coke here) from the grocery store is $0.65 and on the street is less than $0.50 (this is in harsh comparison to the same in Europe, where it was about $4 b/c of the Euro exchange rate)
• Two cleaning ladies for two hours is $20, and this cost was split between me and my roommate.
• I got 10 bootlegged DVDs from a street vendor for less than $9. The ones I have watched so far are of pretty good quality.
• A hand towel at Wal-Mart is $0.25.
• The most expensive thing I’ve bought here was complex drying rack on which to hang my clothes after washing; it cost me $20 at Wal-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment