Monday, April 19, 2010

Shopping



There are a lot of women’s clothing stores here, and most of which are non-chain and about the size of my bathroom back in the States. They usually have only one of each item, and the sizes are very small. I wouldn’t even think of trying to fit into any of the pants. Molly and I went to an indoor market one day, and I tried to try shoes from multiple stalls and no one had any big enough (I wear an 8 1/2). In most of these stores you can’t try any of the clothes on so you just have to hold the piece up to you and guess whether or not it will fit. In one stall I held up a dress and the worker laughed and said, “You big girl,” insinuating that it wouldn’t fit me. Good thing I have high self-esteem.

In bigger, more western chain-stores they have an unbelievable number of employees in each store. The employees follow you around and rearrange anything you touch (gotta make sure those hangars are uniformly spaced!) They also note what you’re looking at and bring you items that are similar. I tried on a dress in one store, and when I exited the dressing room to look at myself in the mirror (no mirrors in the actual dressing room) I was bombarded by three ladies who accessorized me in matter of minutes. When I decided I didn’t want the dress they followed me as I walked towards the exit, pointing to similar dresses along the way.

The women here dress nice and are much more stylish than I would have expected, but it’s a very uniquely Chinese style. If I wore the outfits like they do I would look ridiculous. Because of this, the shopping here has been a bit disappointing but I’ve managed to find a few cute pieces.

Picture: Molly at the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment