Every time I leave the apartment I put my life in the hands of the drivers of China. There is no rhyme or reason to anything that is going on, and red lights are more a recommendation than anything else. Main streets are many lanes wide (lanes are another subjective matter in this country) and are flanked on either side by lanes for scooters and bikers. So to cross the street you have to first get through the scooter without being hit by what Megan and Molly like to call “Ninja scooters” because they come out of nowhere at times, then decide whether the cars and busses will really obey the red light, then cross one more scooter lane before reaching the “safety” of the other side. I put “safety” in quotations because people like to ride their scooters on the sidewalks as well, so you’re never really in a pedestrian-only zone. People use their horns constantly and get uncomfortably close to you when driving by. I feel like I’m Frogger every time I step outside the apartment.
My strategy to stay alive is two-fold: First, I rely on the signals of the crossing guards to help me know when to walk. Each major intersection has a uniformed guard that tries to control traffic and get people safely across the streets. They stand under big umbrellas and have hats and whistles. Secondly, I decided that if I stare the drivers in the eye I will establish dominance and they will be less likely to hit me. My animalistic strategy has worked thus far as I’ve yet to be hit (unlike some of my classmates).
Picture: The crazy China traffic!
No comments:
Post a Comment