A friend of mine from high school had been to Phuket about a year or so ago, and she recommended that we find a beach called Laem Song, so on our first day as a traveling-pair we hopped in a cab and went in search of the beach. It turned out to be one cove below Surin Beach (I actually probably saw it when we jet-skiied that first day) and thus was about an hour cab-ride away, but I am so glad we decided to find it. It’s one of the few beaches on the western side of Phuket that is hard to get to, and is only labeled by a small sign off the side of the main road. To get to the beach, you have to climb about ¼ mile down a steep hill. There are no resorts or hotels on the beach, so it was quiet and uncrowded and absolutely beautiful. Molly and I got front-row, 100 baht loungers and the men even wiped the sand off the chairs for us and asked us for our towels so they could place them on our chairs for us. Highlights of the afternoon include:
• Our photo shoot. I made Molly pose on some rocks Sports Illustrated style, and in turn she made me do the same. We both decided we are awkward models and I almost slipped off the rocks a few times, but it was fun all the same.
• The sunscreen-in-the-eye incident. We were chatting and people watching, and noticed a really hot guy walk by in front of us (many men in Phuket wear Speedos or tight swim trunks, this guy had on long, loose board shorts and looked American). We both noted him and went back to our conversation. About a half hour later, my eye started to burn because there was sunscreen in it, so I tried pouring water into it to flush it out. At this exact moment, Molly announced the guy was walking back in front of us so I looked up. He looked right at us and I swear I must have looked like Quasimodo, one eye wide open and one eye scrunched shut, with tears and bottled water pouring down my face. I ruined our chances right then and there.
• The most useful purchase ever. There were some vendors walking up and down the beach, and from one of them I bought a little straw broom-thing that is perfectly designed for wiping sand off your lounger. Sand is my least favorite part of the beach, especially when it gets on your chair. I must have used it 20 times that day, and I brought it with me to China and will bring it home with me to the States. In the future, it will be my Puerto-Vallarta sand duster.
Pictures: On the cliff overlooking Leam Song Beach; The gorgeous beach.
No comments:
Post a Comment