Friday, April 2, 2010

The Villa and Surin Beach






After a short 3-hour flight from Hong Kong, we arrived to Phuket around 10:00pm. Phuket is a large island off the southern coast of Thailand, and the western coast is lined with beaches that have been developed for tourists. Kaci, one of my classmates and the master-planner of spring break, had arranged for the group to stay in a villa on one of the northern beaches, Surin Beach. I had high expectations of this villa but it surpassed these expectations by leaps and bounds. It was set high on a hill overlooking the Andaman Sea, and was four stories of tropical bliss. There was lush vegetation, private outdoor baths/showers in each of the three bedrooms, an infinity pool, wireless internet and two-full time staff members that made all our meals, did our laundry, cleaned up after us, and called cabs for us when needed. The food that they made for us was unbelievable, and it was the best food we had the whole trip.

We went a few times to Surin Beach, which was a quick 15-minute walk down the hill (ok moment of truth: I never actually walked it, we took tuk-tuks). The beach was lined with chairs and umbrellas, all owned by entrepreneurial Thais who charge 100 baht per chair for the day (100 baht is about $3 USD). The beach was beautiful, and I spent more time in the warm, crystal clear water than I have at any other beach I’ve ever been to. That day we also rented jet-skis and explored the other coves around Surin Beach.

The second day we spent on Surin Beach wasn’t so relaxing, mainly due to the waves. I have learned that I have a very slow recovery time when being hit by a wave—I have to rub the saltwater out of my eyes, get the hair out of my face, then reorient myself. By the time this process is over, the next wave is already hitting me. After lying in the sun for awhile, I was hot enough to warrant a trip into the ocean. Molly and Megan had been in for a little bit, and were a few meters out past the point of the wave break. I grabbed my turtle floatie (we purchased kids’ floaties from a vendor on the beach) and walked down to the water. Attempt #1: I try to swim out, and don’t make it past the wave break. I get pounded into the sand. Attempt #2: I get a little further out, but another big wave comes and it carries me back to the beach. Attempt #3: I decided if I put my sunglasses on, maybe they will act as goggles and I can swim faster. It worked. I somehow manage to swim faster than the waves are able to carry me back to shore, and I make it far enough out to swim over to Megan and Molly, who had been watching me the whole time and had swallowed gallons of saltwater laughing at my attempts. My next challenge came in trying to utilize my floatie. Because it was designed for a child, I couldn’t balance on it and it ended up being more of a hassle than anything else. After about 30 minutes in the water, I was exhausted and decided my lounger was once again beckoning me.

Picture: My favorite spot in the villa; Molly in a tuk-tuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment