Friday, April 2, 2010

Honeymoon Dinner & Ladyboy Show




Molly really wanted to eat dinner at sunset one night, and after our sea kayaking adventure we rushed home, showered, and headed out to a place she found on the internet that claimed to be on the beach and have great views of sunset. We hopped in a cab and asked him to take us to the restaurant, and he didn’t know where it was but recommended another place so we said fine, take us there. We turned the corner from our hotel, drove about five minutes, and saw the original restaurant we were looking for! It was less than a 10-minute walk from our hotel!

We walked in to the open-air restaurant and a man asked us if we had a reservation, and we nervously told him no but he looked at his book, thought a little bit, then said, “Ok” and led us to a table. The restaurant looked out over the southern end of Kata Beach (you could see our hotel’s beach) and really did have magnificent views of the water. We had a great meal and a bottle of wine, and we called it our honeymoon dinner. We were waiting for the restaurant to fill up, but it never did. In fact, there were only two other tables filled the entire time we were there. We both thought it was funny that we were asked if we had a reservation.

Looking for something other than going to Phuket’s lame bars one night, Molly and I decided to go to the Simon Cabaret show after dinner. All I knew was that it was an hour-long variety show, and the ads dare guests to try to tell the difference between the ladyboys and actual female actresses. The show was interesting to say the least….it was all lip-synching, but the first set was songs from Dreamgirls (and I knew all the words!) so I started off liking it. The costumes were fabulous, sets were elaborate and dances were mediocre, and Molly and I did play the “find the ladyboy” game throughout. They had songs and dances with themes from around the world, so Dreamgirls could be considered the American act, there was a Bollywood style dance from India, a Japanese one, Chinese one, etc. Afterwards, the actresses/actors lined up outside the theater for photo ops with guests and I was SHOCKED when some of them talked. We were way off on the ladyboy game….about ¾ of the “actresses” were actually “actors.” I would have never known, it was amazing.

Pictures: Molly and I at sunset on the Andamen Sea; me and the show-stopping ladyboys.

No comments:

Post a Comment